Talk to us. You’ll see the difference.
A well written CV can be the key to securing you an interview or even on occasion securing a job. It is your vehicle for initially letting an organisation know what you can bring to them.
CV writing Tips
- Lay your CV out neatly, using bullet points which are concise and to the point; avoid lengthy paragraphs.
- Always check for typos and grammatical errors.
- Ensure your contact details are correct- There are few things more frustrating for a recruiter than to have a great CV in front of them and not be able to contact the person whose name is at the top of it.
- Unless specifically requested, do NOT include a photo.
- Tailor your CV for each position that you apply for; make sure that the skills on your CV match up to the skills required in the job description.
- Unless specifically requested otherwise, your CV should be sent as a Word Attachment, not a PDF, Mac file, etc. A recruiter/ employer simply does not have time to download and convert special files.
- A CV should never be more than 2-3 pages long. A good CV is clear, concise and makes every point necessary without waffling.
- Review your CV on a regular basis and add any new skills or experience gained.
- Do not leave gaps in your CV and be honest- if you have been travelling, studying, or have taken time off for personal reasons always explain this.
- Highlight key achievements such as exceeding targets.
A good cover letter is key to making your CV stand out from the crowd.
- Address the contact mentioned in the job advert and include any reference numbers that may be appropriate.
- Give an overview of your current employment situation and why you think the time is right to move on.
- Include detail on the company and why you would be interested in working for them
- Tell them why they should be interested in you as an employee
- Ensure that you tailor the information to the company and the job that you are applying for.
- Close politely by expressing interest in further dialogue
- Proof your letter before sending it to ensure it is well presented
At VANRATH our consultants are sector specific and have an in-depth knowledge of and experience in their respective fields. If you would like to discuss your CV in more detail please get in touch for a confidential conversation.